Trail Mavens is looking for a few good women to serve as leaders on upcoming adventures.
Trail Mavens was created to empower women to be the fire-starters, the tent-pitchers, and the map-readers, creating opportunities for adventure, leadership, and starry-night campfire conversation in the Great Outdoors.
We believe there are far too few opportunities for women to learn outdoor skills from other inspiring women; to learn those skills in a warm, supportive setting where mistakes are just fine; and to build authentic community where everyone has to chance to teach and learn something new.
Our culture thrives on learning, inclusion, campfires, conversation, wine, and marshmallows.
Finally, we're looking for badass, dynamic trip leaders - maybe you? - to grow our team in 2018.
- You live and work in the San Francisco Bay Area, since this isn't a full-time job
- You're just as comfortable digging a cathole or starting a Whisperlite as you are facilitating a conversation
- You have a way of making everyone confident in your leadership while still leaving space for others to shine
- You love the outdoors, and are passionate about sharing that love with other women
about the role
- Lead groups of 4-8 women on weekend-long camping and backpacking adventures in Northern CA
- Teach outdoor skills including Leave No Trace, fire building, map navigation, tent setup, cooking, and safe food handling
- Manage and minimize risk in a wilderness setting
- Lead or co-facilitate community building activities and campfire conversations
- Drive personal vehicle to/from trip locations
- 2 hours pre-trip work: communication with co-leader, review of logistics and participant information, vehicle packing
- 2 hours post-trip work: unpacking and gear management, trip feedback and reporting, email to participants
- Lead a minimum of twelve trips per 12-month period beginning March 2018, with a minimum of one trip/month between June and October
- Timely engagement with Slack communication from Trail Mavens HQ
- Attendance at Trail Mavens guide training events
- Participation in quarterly learning & social events (alumnae happy hours, risk management trainings, etc.)
- Willingness to become knowledgeable about Trail Mavens brand partnerships
- Previous outdoor leadership experience
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification (or plans to complete by March 2018)
- Current CA Food Handler’s certification (or plans to complete by March 2018)
- Successful completion of LNT Awareness course (or plans to complete by March 2018)
- Outdoor knowledge with extensive front- and backcountry experience
- Excellent leadership, teaching, and facilitation skills with the experience to prove it
- Enthusiasm, energy, and a serious ability to roll with the punches
- Own a car w/ valid driver’s license and insurance
- Ability to carry up to 50 lbs over three- to four-day backpacking trips
- Ability to attend Trail Mavens' guide training weekend March 9-11, as well as one additional training day in late March
- Knowledge of California state and national park trail systems
- A flexible or semi-flexible work schedule, or enough vacation days that you could take the occasional Friday or Monday off work to lead a backpacking trip in Yosemite or the Trinity Alps
- A secret talent (photography / writing / meditation / improv) to share with the group
- Previous participation on a Trail Mavens adventure
- ~$200 - $295 per trip, dependent on trip duration
- Gear discounts and access to free shwag on an as-available basis
- Discounts for friends and family to participate on adventures
Still reading? Here's what's next:
- Complete the Trip Leader Application [applications accepted January 1-20, 2018].
- Email an updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using subject header 'Trail Mavens Trip Leader Application'.
- Trail Mavens will be in touch to set up phone screenings on a rolling basis. The sooner you complete your application and send in your resume, the better!