Trail Mavens is looking for a few good women
to serve as co-leaders on upcoming adventures.
Trail Mavens was created to empower women to be the fire-starters, the tent-pitchers, and the map-readers, creating opportunities for adventure, leadership, and starry-night campfire conversation in the Great Outdoors.
We believe there are far too few opportunities for women to learn outdoor skills from other inspiring women; to learn those skills in a warm, supportive setting where mistakes are just fine; and to build authentic community where everyone has to chance to teach and learn something new.
Trail Mavens co-leaders have some specific responsibilities on trips: you need to be ready to step in and lend a hand whenever needed, to go to bed last and wake up first, to motivate and support anyone who needs a little extra cheerleading, to teach skills you're confident in, to ask compelling questions, to be a great listener, and to inject your energy into the trip.
Before each adventure, you'll chat with your guide to hash out trip logistics and meet early to help pack; afterwards, you'll help unpack and complete a trip feedback form.
- At-cost participation on Trail Mavens adventures you co-lead (generally $70 - $115)
- Campsites and permits that *we* reserved seven months ago, so *you* don't have to
- Serious hands-on leadership development on-trail
- Ongoing off-trail professional development opportunities with fellow co-leaders and guides
- Membership in a killer crew of women who make up our team
- Reimbursement (up to $175) towards a WFA course when you co-lead four trips in a calendar year
- Co-lead a minimum of four Trail Mavens adventures throughout the calendar year
- Assist in overall group, gear, and time management with Trail Mavens guide
- Teach skills to groups of 4-8 women (ex.: campfire building, site selection, Leave No Trace, topo map reading, gear care, trip planning, stove use, etc.)
- Lead or co-facilitate team building activities and campfire conversations
- Trip documentation (photography, GoPro filming, etc.)
- Drive Trail Mavens or personal vehicles as needed
- ~One hour pre-trip work: reviewing weekend logistics and participant information with Trail Mavens guide, vehicle packing
- ~One hour post-trip work: unpacking, trip feedback form
- Previous participation on a Trail Mavens adventure
- Confident outdoorswoman with front- and backcountry wilderness experience
- Excellent leadership, teaching, and facilitation skills
- Enthusiasm, energy, positive attitude, and serious ability to roll with the punches
- Wilderness leadership experience
- Knowledge of local state and national parks
- A secret talent (photography/yoga/meditation/writing/improv) to teach/share with the group
- A flexible schedule, or enough vacation days that you could take a Friday off and go backpacking on the Lost Coast or in Yosemite
other good stuff about you
- You notice what needs to be done, and step in to do it
- People have told you how easy you are to talk to
- You relate easily to all kinds of people
Still reading? Here's what's next:
- Complete the Co-Leader Application below.
- Trail Mavens will be in touch to set up an in-person chat, and we'll provide all the details about the remainder of the process.