Yosemite National Park backpacking
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN?
Make sure you read our FAQ for juicy details that are relevant to all our trips!
- Explore Yosemite's pristine high Sierra backcountry, far from the crowds that clog the Valley floor.
- Learn and practice lightweight packing, map reading, backcountry cooking, water purification, and Leave No Trace principles.
- Conquer 21 miles of hiking, passing through evergreen forests, blue alpine lakes, and the landscape that inspired John Muir.
- Hang, learn, and laugh with a posse of inspiring, go-getting women.
- Relax. Unplug. No emails, no cell phones.
- A portion of your ticket goes back to Yosemite National Park, to preserve and protect this resource for future generations.
For an additional $50 fee, join Trail Mavens for a night of camping near our trailhead in Yosemite so you can sleep in Saturday morning. Saturday breakfast will be provided for those who select this option. To select this option, choose 'Yes' from the dropdown menu at the bottom of the page. To opt out, choose 'No.'
10am meetup in Yosemite National Park to obtain permits, divide gear, and caravan to our trailhead. Backpack through Half Moon Meadow to the Ten Lakes basin, where we'll set up camp, swim, cook dinner together, and relax. Mileage total: 6.5 miles, 2400' elevation gain/600' elevation loss.
We'll kick things off with a hearty breakfast before breaking down our campsite and repacking our bags. After descending from Ten Lakes to the South Fork of Cathedral Creek, we'll begin a gradual climb along the side of Tuolumne Peak. After lunching on trail, we'll hit an elevation of 9900' before descending to Polly Dome Lakes, our home for the night. Mileage total: 11 miles, 1500' elevation gain/2400' elevation loss.
Leisurely breakfast, camp break-down, finish our hike to the incomparably beautiful Tenaya Lake, beach celebration picnic and closing ceremonies. Mileage total: 3.5 miles, 500' elevation loss.
Return to SF mid-evening pending traffic and hiking speeds.
* Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, or other unforeseen incidents.
+ WHAT'S INCLUDED
- Yosemite National Park backcountry permits.
- Guided, hands-on instruction and facilitation.
- Meals: Saturday lunch/dinner, Sunday breakfast/lunch/dinner, Monday breakfast/lunch
- Shared items: Tents, maps, stove, cookware, fuel, plates, utensils, and camp chairs, lanterns, and basic First Aid from a WFR-certified guide.
- Backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and headlamp are provided at no additional cost for any woman who does not have her own.
- (Optional) Campsite on Friday night and Saturday breakfast.
Not Included: Yosemite National Park admission, personal incidentals.
+ ACCOMMODATIONS & food
You probably already knew this, but we'll be sleeping in two- or three-person tents. You'll share your tent with 1-2 other awesome trip participants.
We are strong believers in delicious food to fuel adventure, and take care to create healthy, tasty menus (think oatmeal and dried berries before a big hike, or couscous and veggies for dinner). We're happy to plan around our vegetarian and vegan Trail Mavens. Gluten-intolerant? We've got you covered! However, because planning gluten-free meals requires us to shift our plans for the entire group, we ask you note it during registration only if it presents a health issue for you, rather than an inclination.
Participants are responsible for their own transportation to/from Yosemite National Park. For trip participants coming from the Bay Area, Trail Mavens will make every effort to coordinate carpools. Each passenger will contribute to their driver to cover park entrance fees, gas, wear, and tear (not included in trip investment).
If no trip participants have a car, Trail Mavens will share contact information so you can band together and split a rental.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area on Friday and departing no earlier than 10pm on Monday night, or Tuesday morning.
+ cancellation policy
Should you decide to cancel your trip for any reason, Trail Mavens is able to offer refunds at the following rates:
- 21+ days prior to trip departure date: 75% of trip cost refunded.
- 14-20 days prior to trip departure date: 50% of trip cost refunded.
- 4-13 days prior to trip departure: 25% of trip cost refunded.
- 1-3 days prior to trip departure: No refunds.