registration deadline: monday, june 26
HIKE in America's first (and greatest) national park, alpine lakes, stunning views, and moments of inspiration included.
HANDS-ON TRAINING so you can show off your skills next time you pitch a tent (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were a kid).
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak it in.
SPACE TO DISCONNECT from the day-to-day urban living, and stop, breathe, and focus on what's happening NOW.
THE MAVEN FACTOR, a.k.a what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside.
Enough SELF-CARE to get you through any hurdle. Eat gourmet backcountry meals, work your glutes on-trail, and enjoy the brilliance of Mama Nature.
- 9am meetup in Yosemite National Park for Opening Ceremonies and gear packing
- Hike 7-8 miles into the stunning Ten Lakes Basin, passing through meadows, shaded groves, and peeping amazing views of the High Sierra
- Set up camp next to our lake of choice (there are ten of them, after all)
- Cook dinner & relax in our camp chairs with wine and whiskey
- Kick off with hearty oats and tea or a hobo mocha
- Day hike and swim around the Ten Lakes basin sans packs (we'll leave most of our gear at camp, so we can hike light and easy)
- Test our off-trail navigation skills to check out as many lakes as possible
- Cook dinner, stick our feet in the water, and relax with awesome friends and conversation
- Early breakfast and our final camp break-down
- Hike 7-8 miles back to our trailhead and cars
- Beach celebration picnic and Closing Ceremonies
- Depart Yosemite early afternoon (exact timing pending group hiking speed)
Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? YOU GOT THIS.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, almost every Trail Maven says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, read our FAQs for the info you need.
+ Previous experience
Due to the mileage we're covering and the altitude in Tuolumne Meadows, we recommend this trip for women with some backpacking experience.
If you've never backpacked before, this trip may still be appropriate for you if you're very fit, and feel comfortable hiking 1.5 to 2 miles per hour while wearing a 30-35 lb. backpack.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp & fresh batteries
- 60L+ backpack with rain cover
- Backpacking bowl/cup/utensil
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Sturdy, broken-in hiking shoes
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads as needed
- Personal medications
- Glasses/contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles, small pillow, hand towel, earplugs, comfy shoes for hanging out at our campsite, camera, bandana or Buff to keep sun off your neck, small bottle hand sanitizer
Items in bold provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own!
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Trail Mavens follows Leave No Trace principles, and we'll be pooping into catholes we dig ourselves and packing out all our toilet paper and feminine hygiene products.
You are responsible for your own transportation to and from Trail Mavens locations, but we'll help coordinate carpools or shared rentals for women leaving from the same area. Passengers will contribute to owners/drivers to cover the cost of gas and wear & tear, or evenly split the cost of the rental. This cost is not included in your trip investment.
Want even more carpooling details? Check out our Transportation FAQ.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book a flight arriving in the Bay Area no later than Friday evening, and departing no earlier than 11pm Monday night, or Tuesday morning.
Airbnb is a great choice for lodging in the Bay Area. Your exact departure point will depend on the other women on the trip - we always try to choose carpool meeting locations that are convenient for everyone - but the city of San Francisco is relatively small, and you can get most places in 15-20 minutes with a relatively inexpensive Lyft ride.
IS TRAIL MAVENs FOR YOU?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
... love open, honest, hilarious conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out while you're sharing a Platypus full of wine under the stars.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF YOU...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
trip Investment: $445 [$425 Before May 1]
trip fee includes...
... all Yosemite National Park backcountry permit fees
... delicious meals from Saturday afternoon though Monday afternoon, trail snacks, chocolate, and wine & whiskey to sip in the moonlight
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a Wilderness First Responder-certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
... all the gear you need, just in case you don't have any; just bring clothes and a toothbrush
... a donation back to Yosemite National Park, to preserve and protect it for future generations
Trip fee is exclusive of transportation costs to/from Yosemite and park entrance fees.
We don't want finances to ever be the thing that gets in the way of you experiencing a Trail Mavens trip. With that in mind, we offer installment plans, so you can spread out trip payment over three months. Sound appealing? Email us at email@example.com and we'll get you set up.