lake tahoe camping
camping & hiking
moderate to rigorous
IT'S EASY TO IMAGINE YOU'RE ON ITALY'S AMALFI COAST WHEN HIKING AND SWIMMING ALONG TAHOE'S SHORES, BUT WHY WOULD YOU?
TAHOE IS ALREADY DREAMY, WITH BLUER-THAN-BLUE WATER SPLASHING THE FEET OF THE JAGGED SIERRAS.
Experience the EYE-TINGLING BEAUTY of South Lake Tahoe, including our favorite trail of all time, the Rubicon Trail.
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak it in.
THE MAVEN FACTOR, a.k.a what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside.
HANDS-ON TRAINING so you can show off your skills next time you pitch a tent (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were a kid).
SPACE TO DISCONNECT from the day-to-day urban living, and stop, breathe, and focus on what's happening NOW.
Enough SELF-CARE to get you through any hurdle. Eat gourmet camp meals, work your glutes on-trail, and enjoy the brilliance of Mama Nature.
- 5:30pm departure from the Bay, Opening Ceremonies and dinner on the road
- Campsite set-up in Tahoe
- Learn our foolproof 'Flaming V' fire-building technique
- Kick back in your camp chair with wine and s'mores, or crawl into your sleeping bag to catch some hard-earned Z's after the workweek
- French-press coffee and hearty breakfast
- 9 mile hike on our favorite trail OF ALL TIME, the Rubicon, with picnic lunch and swimming stops along the way
- Return to camp for fire-building, relaxation, and a hot second to reflect and give yourself a high five for your accomplishments
- Massive dinner with fresh veggies galore, chocolate, and wine
Click for a map and elevation profile of Saturday's hike.
- French-press coffee and hearty breakfast part deux
- Camp break-down and pro tips on gear and trip planning
- Two-mile hike past a gushing waterfall and gorgeous alpine lake with more opportunities for swimming
- Mediterranean picnic lunch feast
- Closing ceremonies, and return to San Francisco*
Click for a map and elevation profile of Sunday's hike.
*Exact return timing pending traffic and hiking speeds, but anticipate an evening arrival.
Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? YOU GOT THIS.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, everyone says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, read our FAQs for all the nitty-gritty details.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp & fresh batteries
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Day pack to carry while hiking
- Sturdy, broken-in walking shoes
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads as needed
- Personal medications
- Glasses/contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles (esp. if you have knee issues), small pillow, hand towel, earplugs, comfy shoes for hanging out at our campsite, camera, bandana or Buff to keep sun off your neck, small bottle hand sanitizer
Bolded items provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own.
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Our campsite in Tahoe is plush, as far as campsites go. It features spacious bathrooms, flush toilets, running water, hot quarter-fed showers (though no one ever takes one), and potable water spigots. You won't need to pee or poop outdoors...unless you want to.
You are responsible for your own transportation to and from Trail Mavens locations, but we'll help coordinate carpools or shared rentals for women leaving from the same area. Passengers will contribute to owners/drivers to cover the cost of gas and wear & tear, or evenly split the cost of the rental. This cost is not included in your trip investment.
Want even more carpooling details? Check out our Transportation FAQ.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area no later than Friday early afternoon, and departing no earlier than 10pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
IS TRAIL MAVENs FOR YOU?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
... love open, honest, hilarious conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out around the campfire.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF YOU...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
trip investment: $395 [$375 before april 16]
trip fee includes...
... all Lake Tahoe state park admission/campsite fees
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation
... delicious meals from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon, trail snacks, chocolate galore, and wine & whiskey to sip in the moonlight
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a Wilderness First Responder-certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
... all the gear you need, just in case you don't have any; just bring clothes and a toothbrush
We don't want finances to ever be the thing that gets in the way of you experiencing a Trail Mavens trip. To that end, we offer installment plans. To learn more, email email@example.com and we'll get you set up.