snowshoe & snow camp in the sierraS
backpacking & Snowshoeing
*REGISTRATION DEADLINE: MONDAY, january 9
Explore the quiet WINTER WONDERLAND of the Sierras during the day; drink COCOA and WINE in our cozy private cabin by night.
A FRESH-SQUEEZED CONFIDENCE BOOST to let you channel you inner honey badger when it comes to other people's agendas, because this trip is for you.
Put on your big-girl pants and CHALLENGE YOURSELF to something you've never done before, whether that's snow camping or map reading.
HANDS-ON TRAINING so you can show off your skills next time you light a Whisperlite (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were a kid).
THE MAVEN FACTOR, a.k.a what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside.
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak it in.
- 8am meetup / snowshoe rental / backpack packing session in SF
- Caravan to our destination on the edge of Tahoe National Forest, with a pit stop for lunch on the road
- Snowshoe ~1 mile with our packs on to our private cabin for the weekend
- Set up tents (that's right - we've got an indoor space to cook and hang out in, but we're snow camping because you're hardcore)
- Get hands-on experience with stoves while helping to whip up a tasty dinner
- Kick back with a glass of wine or cocoa indoors before bundling down in your tent for the night
- Big, healthy breakfast & coffeecoffeecoffee to fuel ourselves for the day
- Ditch our big packs at camp, and explore the nearby Pioneer Trail on a six mile out-and-back hike
- Picnic lunch on-trail
- Return to our cabin for conversation, relaxation, and a hot second to reflect and give yourself a high five for your accomplishments
- Practice building fires in snowy conditions
- Massive dinner with chocolate and wine
- Last-minute snow angels and sledding
- Leisurely breakfast and camp breakdown
- Closing ceremonies, Cookieface, and return to San Francisco*
*Exact return timing pending traffic and hiking speeds, but anticipate an afternoon arrival, giving you enough time to do a load of laundry and cook dinner before you kick off your week.
Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? YOU GOT THIS.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, everyone says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, check out our FAQs.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 20° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp & fresh batteries
- 50L backpacking pack
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing (see below)
- Day pack to carry while snowshoeing on Sunday
- Waterproof boots
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads as needed
- Personal medications
- Glasses/contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles, small pillow, earplugs, comfy shoes or slippersocks for hanging out in our cabin, camera
Bolded items provided for any women who does not have her own.
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Our cabin features a nearby pit toilet. If the snowpack is light, we'll carry in our own water to cook, drink, and clean with. Otherwise, we'll boil and purify snow!
You're responsible for your own transportation to and from Trail Mavens locations, but we help coordinate carpools for ladies leaving from the Bay Area. If you own a car and are willing to drive other ladies, they'll contribute to cover gas, tolls, and wear & tear. If you grab a ride with another Maven, plan to Venmo or Paypal your driver. If no trip participants/insufficient trip participants own cars, we'll share contact information so you can band together and split a rental.
Want even more details? Check out our Transportation FAQ.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area no later than Friday evening and departing no earlier than 10pm Monday night, or Tuesday morning.
IS TRAIL MAVENS FOR YOU?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
... love open, honest, hilarious conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out around the campfire.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF YOU...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
your investment: $415
trip fee includes...
... a tiny, gorgeous little cabin to hang out and cook in
... snowshoe rental
... all the gear you need, just in case you don't have any; just bring your clothes and a toothbrush
... delicious meals from Saturday night to Monday morning, trail snacks, chocolate galore, and wine & whiskey to sip in the moonlight
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a WFR certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
We don't want finances ever to be the thing that gets in the way of your coming on a Trail Mavens trip, so we offer installment plans. To learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get you set up.
Additional questions? Email email@example.com.