Backpacking Skyline to the Sea | October 11 - 13
- Experience the SF Bay Area's premiere point-to-point backpacking adventure, from mountain vistas to towering redwoods to waterfalls and the Pacific Ocean.
- Conquer 30+ miles of trail over three days of hiking from Castle Rock State Park to Waddell Beach (pictured above).
- Hone your backpacking skills: lightweight packing, campsite setup, trek cooking, food hanging, water purification, map-reading, and Leave No Trace principles.
- Hang, learn, and laugh with a posse of inspiring, go-getting women.
- Relax. Unplug. No emails, no cell phones.
Post-work packing party at Sports Basement.
Early morning departure from SF. Caravan to Saratoga Gap via Waddell Beach in four cars; drop off two and drive the others to the start of the trail at Castle Rock State Park. Backpack 11.4 miles to Waterman Gap Trail Camp.
Hearty breakfast, lunch on-trail, and 9.8 mile hike from Waterman Gap to Jay Trail Camp at Big Basin State Park headquarters. Dinner at the Big Basin General Store, and showers for those who want or need them.
Final 13.3 mile stretch from Waterman Gap to Waddell Beach, traversing the Santa Cruz mountains' biggest and best redwood groves. Relax and celebrate on the beach before returning to SF!
- Skyline to the Sea parking and reservation fees.
- Guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation.
- Meals (Saturday lunch/dinner, Sunday breakfast/lunch, Monday breakfast/lunch), and snacks.
- Shared items: Tents, backpacking stoves, cookware, fuel, plates, utensils, basic First Aid.
- Sleeping bag, sleeping pad, backpacks, and headlamp are provided at no additional cost for any woman who does not own her own.
We'll purchase dinner on Sunday evening at the Big Basin General Store. Please bring cash. Hot showers will also be available Sunday night near our campsite, so bring quarters if you'd like to take one!
Participants are responsible for their own transportation SF - Big Basin. Trail Mavens will facilitate carpools, as we'll require exactly four cars for our point-to-point hike. We'll drop two cars at the end of the hike before driving to Castle Rock State Park to get started. Non-drivers will contribute $25 to their drivers.
Registration Deadline: 10/4
Trip Investment: $325
Additional questions? Just email email@example.com.