snowshoe Backpacking in the sierras
january 9 - 11
First-time Trail Maven?
Make sure you read our FAQ for juicy details that are relevant to all our trips!
- Hang and learn with a posse of inspiring women.
- Relax. Unplug. No emails, no cell phones.
- Learn and practice snowshoeing, optimized bag packing, topographic map reading, backcountry cooking, water treatment, and Leave No Trace principles.
- Explore the snowy woods and mountains away from the crowds. These vistas will be all ours.
- Cozy up to a wood fire in the Sierra Club's Bradley Hut after a day of hiking through crystalline white landscapes.
6pm meetup in SF, snowshoe fitting and rental, dinner on the road, stopping for the night at a motel in Auburn. Motel escapades probable.
Early morning breakfast, backpack packing session in Auburn, and final jaunt to our trailhead off Highway 89. Five mile snowshoe hike (inc. 1500' elevation gain) to the Bradley Hut, stopping for lunch along the way. After arrival and gear drop-off, we'll explore, play in the snow, and drink hot chocolate by the fire.
Leisurely breakfast and departure from Bradley Hut. Downhill hike en route back to our cars, celebratory lunch back in Truckee, and Sunday evening arrival back in SF.
- Meals (Saturday breakfast/lunch/dinner, Sunday breakfast), snacks, and wine/booze.
- Motel and cabin accommodation.
- Snowshoe rental.
- Guided, hands-on instruction.
- Shared items: stoves, cookware, toilet paper, camp plates/cups/utensils, soap, and basic First Aid from WFR-certified guide.
- Sleeping bag, sleeping pad, headlamp, and backpack are provided at no additional cost for any woman who does not own her own.
In other words, if you don't own any camping gear, just bring your clothes and some cash for Friday dinner and Sunday lunch. We'll take care of the rest.
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation to/from Tahoe. Trail Mavens will facilitate carpools from SF. Each passenger will contribute $30 to their driver for gas, wear, and tear (not included in trip investment).
- Required apparel: waterproof shell, fleece/down jacket, long underwear, snow pants, hat, gloves, thick hiking socks, and insulated waterproof boots. Dress like you'd dress for skiing, plus boots.
- Experienced cross country skiers are welcome to that alternative: simply cover the difference in cost between snowshoes and XC ski rentals.
- Due to the elevation and the challenge inherent in snowshoeing, we recommend this adventure for Mavens who feel reasonably fit. On the fence? Please reach out.
- Note that we'll be sharing the Bradley Hut with other non-Maven adventurers.
Trip Investment: $380
Additional questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.