pt. reyes kayak camping
moderate, no previous
kayaking experience required
There's nothing quite like paddling a mile across a stunning bay, hopping out of a kayak into ankle-deep water, and pulling your vessel onto a sandy beach that's only accessible the way you just got there. The Tomales Bay side of Point Reyes is one of the most ethereally beautiful destinations we visit, a stunning setting for you to hone your own skills, deeply connect with other amazing women, and spend some quality time with the most important person in your life: you. We'd be remiss if we didn't mention the bioluminescence, too. If the night is dark enough, we'll be able to wave our fingers underwater and see them sparkle.
BEACHFRONT CAMPING, and (weather-pending) SPARKLING
BIOLUMINESCENCE in the water.
so you can show off your skills next time you pitch a tent (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were a kid).
THE MAVEN FACTOR, a.k.a what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside.
SPACE TO DISCONNECT from the day-to-day urban living, and stop, breathe, and focus on what's happening NOW.
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak it in.
Put on your big-girl pants and CHALLENGE YOURSELF to something you've never done before, whether that's ocean kayaking or beach camping.
- 7:30am departure from the Bay Area and carpool to Marshall, CA
- Kayak outfitting: get your life jacket, paddle, wetsuit, and kayak buddy
- ~1.5 hour paddle across world-famous Tomales Bay
- Afternoon hike into the hills of Point Reyes
- Happy hour and dinner prep
- Beach bonfire and bioluminescence exploration
- Hearty breakfast and camp break-down
- ~1.5 hour paddle back to Marshall
- Leisurely picnic lunch at Cowgirl Creamery in Point Reyes Station
- Return to the Bay Area mid-afternoon, pending traffic
Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary
due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? YOU GOT THIS.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, every single Trail Mavens says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, read our FAQs for the info you need.
+ Packing list
Each Trail Maven should plan on bringing the following:
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp with new batteries or spares
- Backpacking bowl/cup/spork
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing a Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Sturdy, broken-in walking/hiking shoes
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Personal toiletries as needed (toothbrush/paste, glasses/contact, menstrual supplies, medications)
- A pen
- Trail Mavens alumnae only: previous Field Notes
- Optional: lightweight backpacking pillow, small bottle hand sanitizer, earplugs, lightweight sandals for hanging out at our campsite, camera, bandana to keep sun off your neck
Items in bold will be provided at no additional cost for any woman who needs them.
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Our campsite on the west shore of Tomales Bay features pit toilets, but no running water. We'll carry all our water over on our kayaks (about a gallon/person). We'll use our fresh water to drink, cook, and wash our hands. We recommend taking a dip in Tomales Bay if you want to get all-the-way wet!
You're responsible for your own transportation to and from Trail Mavens locations, but we help coordinate carpools for ladies leaving from the Bay Area. If you own a car and are willing to drive other ladies, they'll contribute to cover gas, tolls, and wear & tear. If you grab a ride with another Maven, plan to Venmo or Paypal your driver.
If no trip participants/insufficient trip participants own cars, we'll share contact information so you can band together and split a Zipcar.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area on Friday and departing no earlier than 10pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
+ cancellation policy
Should you decide to cancel your trip for any reason, Trail Mavens is able to offer refunds at the following rates:
- 21+ days prior to trip departure date: 50% of trip cost refunded.
- 14-20 days prior to trip departure date: 25% of trip cost refunded.
- 0-13 days prior to trip departure: No refunds.
IS TRAIL MAVENs FOR YOU?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
... love open, honest, hilarious conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out while you're sharing a Platypus full of wine under the stars.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF YOU...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
Trip Investment: $405 (early bird), $425 (after 9/1)
trip fee includes...
... all Point Reyes campsite, parking, and permit fees, plus tandem kayak, PFD, and wetsuit rental
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a WFR certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
... delicious meals from Saturday afternoon through Sunday morning, plus wine, whiskey, and s'mores for the evening hours
... all the gear you need, just in case you don't have any; just bring clothes and a toothbrush
... a donation back to Point Reyes National Seashore, to preserve and protect it for future generations
Not Included: Sunday lunch, transportation
We don't want finances ever to be the thing that gets in the way of your coming on a Trail Mavens trip. We offer installment plans and photographer discounts.
To learn more, email email@example.com and we'll get you set up.