Point reyes backpacking
easy to moderate
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN?
Make sure you read our FAQ for juicy details that are relevant to all our trips!
- Explore Point Reyes' stunning coastline, and fall asleep to the sounds of the waves crashing below our campsite
- Learn and practice lightweight packing, map reading, backcountry cooking, campsite setup, and Leave No Trace principles
- Hang, learn, and laugh with a posse of inspiring, go-getting women
- Relax. Unplug. No emails, no cell phones
- A portion of your ticket goes back to Point Reyes National Seashore, to preserve and protect this resource for future generations
9am meetup at the Bear Valley Visitor's Center to obtain permits, divide gear, pack our backpacks, and caravan to our trailhead. Following the Coast Trail, our mostly flat 2.8 mile hike will lead towards to ocean and along the bluffs until reaching Coast Camp, among Point Reyes' most sought-after backcountry campgrounds. After setting up our campsite, we'll explore the area without backpacks, walking to Sculptured Beach, and playing on Limantour Beach. We'll wrap up our day watching the sun set over the Pacific, eating, drinking, and being merry.
We'll kick things off with a hearty breakfast and pour-over coffee before breaking down our campsite and repacking our bags. We'll retrace our footsteps 2.8 miles back to our cars, and then drive to the historic Point Reyes Lighthouse for incomparable views. After challenging ourselves the 308-stairs descent and ascent to visit the lighthouse, we'll wrap up our trip with a late picnic lunch and closing ceremonies on South Beach (pictured above).
Return to SF late afternoon pending traffic and hiking speeds.
* Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
- Point Reyes National Seashore campsite and permit fees
- Guided, hands-on instruction and facilitation
- Meals: Saturday lunch/dinner; Sunday breakfast/lunch; snacks, wine, and bourbon for sipping in the moonlight
- Shared items: Tents, maps, stoves, cookware, fuel, plates, utensils, camp chairs, lanterns, and basic First Aid from a WFR-certified guide
- Backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and headlamp are provided at no additional cost for any woman who does not have her own
Not Included: Personal clothing, toiletries, or other incidentals.
+ ACCOMMODATIONS & food
You probably already knew this, but we'll be sleeping in two- or three-person tents. You'll share your tent with 1-2 other awesome trip participants.
We are strong believers in delicious food to fuel adventure, and take care to create healthy, tasty menus (think oatmeal and dried berries before a big hike, or couscous and veggies for dinner). We're happy to plan around our vegetarian and vegan Trail Mavens. Gluten-intolerant? We've got you covered! However, because planning gluten-free meals requires us to shift our plans for the entire group, we ask you note it during registration only if it presents a health issue for you, rather than an inclination.
Participants areresponsible for their own transportation to/from Point Reyes National Seashore. For trip participants departing from the Bay Area, Trail Mavens will make every effort to coordinate carpools. Each passenger will contribute to their driver to cover park entrance fees, gas, wear, and tear (not included in trip investment).
If no trip participants have a car, Trail Mavens will share contact information so you can band together and split a rental.
+ HEALTH AND SAFETY
We take participant health and risk management very seriously on our trips. All Trail Mavens primary leaders hold Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid certifications. In remote destinations, we carry a SPOT GPS signaling device, allowing us to contact authorities in case of emergency. We minimize risk on the trail by keeping groups together while hiking, encouraging everyone to drink water and apply sunscreen, and making sure we're prepared with gear appropriate to our activities. Before registering, please read the terms of conditions of Trail Mavens' release. Any questions about participant health and risk management on our trips? Contact email@example.com.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area on Friday and departing no earlier than 10pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
+ cancellation policy
Should you decide to cancel your trip for any reason, Trail Mavens is able to offer refunds at the following rates:
- 21+ days prior to trip departure date: 50% of trip cost refunded.
- 14-20 days prior to trip departure date: 25% of trip cost refunded.
- 0-13 days prior to trip departure: No refunds.