bucket list backpacking in point reyes
(when else will you get these ocean views?)
INSANE OCEAN VIEWS and a dip in Bass Lake as you backpack to the most impossible-to-reserve campsite in Pt. Reyes National Seashore.
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak it in.
HANDS-ON TRAINING so you can show off your skills next time you pitch a tent (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were three).
Enough SELF-CARE to get you through any hurdle. Eat gourmet camp meals, work your glutes on-trail, and enjoy the brilliance of Mama Nature.
SPACE TO DISCONNECT so you can step away from the day-to-day of urban living, stop, breathe, plant your feet in the group and focus on what’s happening right now.
THE MAVEN FACTOR (i.e. what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside).
- Meet up in Point Reyes to pack and fit our backpacks
- 5.5 mile hike on the stunning Coastal Trail to Wildcat Camp
- Picnic lunch, swimming, and optional ropeswinging at Bass Lake
- Campsite setup and beach exploration
- Sunset-watching and happy hour
- Become a pro at the Pocket Rocket and Whisperlite, drink wine, talk, and watch the stars come out
- Piping hot coffee and tea
- Beachfront walk to Alamere Falls (we'll be there alone before the day hikers show up)
- Hearty breakfast and camp break-down
- Return hike via the Coastal Trail - it is the prettiest one in the park
- Champagne toast, Closing Ceremonies, and return to San Francisco*
*Exact return time depending on traffic and hiking speed, but plan on an evening arrival.
Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
Why Point Reyes?
There's no place quite as wild, quite as singular as Point Reyes, particularly as convenient as it is from the Bay Area.
If you love water, you'll love Point Reyes. We'll hike along the ocean, we'll swim in a freshwater lake, we'll cross streams, we'll visit Alamere Falls, which has higher Yelp reviews than the French Laundry, and we'll fall asleep to the sound of waves crashing on the shore beneath our tents.
It's a perfect destination for beginner and intermediate backpacking trips... if you can get permits, which go on sale six months in advance. (Don't worry, that's why we're here.)
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? YOU GOT THIS.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, every single Trail Mavens says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, read our FAQs for the info you need.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp with new batteries or spares
- 50L backpack (or larger) with rain fly
- Backpacking bowl/cup/spork
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing a Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Sturdy, broken-in walking/hiking shoes
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads as needed
- Toothbrush/mini toothpaste
- Personal medications
- Glasses or contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles (esp. if you have knee issues), lightweight backpacking pillow, earplugs, lightweight sandals for hanging out at our campsite, camera, bandana or Buff to keep sun off your neck
Items in bold provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own!
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Backcountry campsites in Point Reyes feature potable water and pit toilets, so you won't be pooping in the woods. We will, however, teach you proper woods-pooping protocol, so you're ready when it happens.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Book flights arriving on Friday and departing no earlier than 10pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
IS TRAIL MAVEN FOR YOU?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
... love open, honest, hilarious conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out around the campfire.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF YOU...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
Trip Investment: $295
trip fee includes...
... all Point Reyes National Seashore admission/campsite fees
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a WFR certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
... delicious meals from Saturday Sunday afternoon, trail snacks, chocolate galore, and wine & whiskey to sip in the moonlight
... all the gear you need, just in case you don't have any; just bring your clothes and a toothbrush
We don't want finances ever to be the thing that gets in the way of your coming on a Trail Mavens trip. We offer installment plans and photographer discounts.
To learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get you set up.