Point reyes backpacking
easy to moderate
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN?
Make sure you read our FAQ for juicy details that are relevant to all our trips!
- Explore Point Reyes' stunning coastline, and fall asleep to the sounds of the waves crashing below our campsite
- Learn and practice lightweight packing, map reading, backcountry cooking, campsite setup, and Leave No Trace principles
- Hang, learn, and laugh with a posse of inspiring, go-getting women
- Relax. Unplug. No emails, no cell phones
- A portion of your ticket goes back to Point Reyes National Seashore, to preserve and protect this resource for future generations
9am meetup at the Bear Valley Visitor's Center to obtain permits, divide gear, pack our backpacks, and caravan to our trailhead. Following the Coast Trail, our mostly flat 2.8 mile hike will lead towards to ocean and along the bluffs until reaching Coast Camp, among Point Reyes' most sought-after backcountry campgrounds. After setting up our campsite, we'll explore the area without backpacks, walking to Sculptured Beach. We'll wrap up our day watching the sun set over the Pacific, eating, drinking, and being merry.
We'll kick things off with a hearty breakfast and space to relax and reflect on the beach below our campsite before breaking down our campsite and repacking our bags. The group will explore a different route back to our trailhead, and return to the Bear Valley Visitors Center for a celebratory picnic lunch and final lessons.
Return to SF late afternoon pending traffic and hiking speeds.
* Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
- Point Reyes National Seashore campsite and permit fees
- Guided, hands-on instruction and facilitation
- Meals: Saturday lunch/dinner; Sunday breakfast/lunch; snacks, wine, and bourbon for sipping in the moonlight
- Shared items: Tents, maps, stoves, cookware, fuel, plates, utensils, camp chairs, lanterns, and basic First Aid from a WFR-certified guide
- Backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and headlamp are provided at no additional cost for any woman who does not have her own
Not Included: Personal clothing, toiletries, sleeping bag liner, or other incidentals.
+ 50+ age group
This trip is offered specifically for women over the age of 50. We had such a great time with our mature Mavens a few months ago on Angel Island, we knew we had to do it again! If you're not quite there but want to connect with women who are, you're welcome on this adventure.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area on Friday and departing no earlier than 10pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
+ PACKING LIST
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp with new batteries or spares
- 50L backpack (or larger) with rain fly
- Backpacking bowl/cup/spork
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing a Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Sturdy, broken-in walking/hiking shoes
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 1.5L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads as needed
- Toothbrush/mini toothpaste
- Personal medications
- Glasses or contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
Optional: hiking poles (esp. if you have knee issues), lightweight backpacking pillow, earplugs, lightweight sandals for hanging out at our campsite, camera, bandana or Buff to keep sun off your neck
Items in bold provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own!
+ cancellation policy
Should you decide to cancel your trip for any reason, Trail Mavens is able to offer refunds at the following rates:
- 21+ days prior to trip departure date: 50% of trip cost refunded.
- 14-20 days prior to trip departure date: 25% of trip cost refunded.
- 0-13 days prior to trip departure: No refunds.