point reyes backpacking
march 16 - 18
moderate to rigorous
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: MONDAY, MARCH 12
Soak in WOODED GLENS and SWEEPING COASTAL VISTAS as you backpack to two of the most coveted backcountry campsites Pt. Reyes has to offer.
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak in the learning and the fun.
HANDS-ON TRAINING so you can show off your skills next time you pitch a tent (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were three).
Enough SELF-CARE to get you through any hurdle. Eat gourmet backcountry meals, work your glutes on-trail, and enjoy the brilliance of Mama Nature.
SPACE TO DISCONNECT so you can step away from the day-to-day of urban living, stop, breathe, plant your feet in the group and focus on what’s happening right now.
THE MAVEN FACTOR (i.e. what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside).
- Midmorning meet up at Point Reyes' Bear Valley Visitors Center
- Trail Mavens Opening Ceremonies, packing, and backpack fitting
- 6 mile hike to Coast Camp via the lushly forested Mt. Wittenberg trail, and the wide-open-sweeping-vistas Woodward Valley trail
- Campsite setup and coastal exploration
- Sunset-watching and happy hour
- Become a pro at the Pocket Rocket and Whisperlite, then enjoy dinner, wine, and stargazing
- Piping hot coffee and tea, hearty breakfast, and camp break-down
- 8 miles hike along the Coastal Trail and up the Sky Trail, with pit stops on Sculptured Beach and Kelham Beach for breaks and lunch
- Campsite setup and views for miles at Sky Camp, our home for the night - hands down the best views in the park
- Happy hour, dinner prep, food and wine part deux
- Coffeecoffeecoffee and breakfast, plus our final camp breakdown
- 2.7 mile hike downhill back to Bear Valley
- Champagne toast, cookieface, and Closing Ceremonies
- Return to San Francisco*
*Exact return time depending on traffic and hiking speed, but plan on a mid-afternoon arrival.
Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? YOU GOT THIS.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, everyone says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, read our FAQs for the info you need.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp with new batteries or spares
- 60L backpack (or larger) with rain fly
- Backpacking bowl/cup/spork
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing a Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Sturdy, broken-in walking/hiking shoes
- Lightweight shoes/sandals for hanging out at our campsite that can be worn with socks (like Crocs/Tevas/Chacos rather than flip-flops)
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads as needed
- Toothbrush/mini toothpaste
- Personal medications
- Glasses or contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles (esp. if you have knee issues), lightweight backpacking pillow, earplugs, camera, bandana or Buff to keep sun off your neck
Items in bold provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own!
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Backcountry campsites in Point Reyes feature potable water and pit toilets, so you won't be pooping in the woods. We will, however, teach you proper woods-pooping protocol, so you're ready when it happens.
You are responsible for your own transportation to and from Trail Mavens locations, but we'll help coordinate carpools or shared rentals for women leaving from the same area. Passengers will contribute to owners/drivers to cover the cost of gas, wear, and tear, or evenly split the cost of the rental. This cost is not included in your trip investment.
Want even more carpooling details? Check out our Transportation FAQ.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Book flights arriving on Thursday evening and departing no earlier than 10pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
IS TRAIL MAVENs FOR YOU?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
... love open, honest, hilarious conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out around the campfire.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
... learn by doing, and feel empowered when given the chance to make suggestions and decisions.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF YOU...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... want everything—dishes, decisions, and dinner—to be done for you.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
Trip Investment: $405 [$385 before January 16]
trip fee includes...
... all Point Reyes National Seashore admission/campsite fees
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a WFR certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
... delicious meals from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning, trail snacks, chocolate galore, and wine & whiskey to sip in the moonlight
... all the gear you need, just in case you don't have any; just bring your clothes and a toothbrush
... a donation back to Point Reyes National Seashore, to preserve and protect it for future generations
We don't want finances to ever be the thing that gets in the way of you experiencing a Trail Mavens trip. With that in mind, we offer installment plans, so you can spread out trip payment over three months. Sound appealing? Email email@example.com and we'll get you set up.