camping, hiking & cooking
*registration deadline: tuesday, november 14
On this adventure, we'll be doing all the 'regular' Trail Mavens stuff: building fires, pitching tents, laughing, and drinking wine, but we're turning up the volume on the food and drink side of things.
A mushroom-foraging foodie adventure has been on our bucket list since Trail Mavens' infancy, and we're timing this trip with the Mendocino rains to inspire those friendly little fungi to pop up for us. Never made homemade ricotta? We'll be doing that too!
Push your skills as a outdoor cook; wow your friends post-trip when you make them wine-poached pairs with whipped cream at a campsite. Whoa.
Learn ADVANCED COOKING techniques, including MUSHROOM FORAGING for our dinner Saturday night.
HANDS-ON TRAINING so you can show off your skills next time you pitch a tent (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were a kid).
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak it in.
SPACE TO DISCONNECT from the day-to-day urban living, and stop, breathe, and focus on what's happening NOW.
THE MAVEN FACTOR, a.k.a what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside.
Enough SELF-CARE to get you through any hurdle. Eat gourmet camp meals, work your glutes on-trail, and enjoy the brilliance of Mama Nature.
- 5:30pm departure from the Bay, Opening Ceremonies and dinner on the road
- Campsite set-up in coastal Mendocino
- Learn our foolproof 'Flaming V' fire-building technique
- Kick back in your camp chair with wine and s'mores, or crawl into your sleeping bag to catch some hard-earned Z's after the workweek
- French-press coffee and hearty breakfast
- Mushroom lecture & foraging hike from expert mycologist Adrienne Long
- Picnic lunch on trail
- Make fresh ricotta at our campsite, mini-hike while we wait for it to set
- Happy hour and Dutch oven cooking lesson
- Laugh and chat with wine around the campfire
- French-press coffee and hearty breakfast part deux
- Camp break-down and pro tips on gear and trip planning
- Tour, tasting, and picnic lunch at award-winning Navarro Vineyards
- Closing ceremonies, and return to San Francisco*
*Exact return timing pending traffic and hiking speeds, but anticipate an evening arrival.
GUIDES RESERVE THE OPTION TO MODIFY TRIP ITINERARIES AS NECESSARY DUE TO WEATHER, ILLNESS, INJURY OR OTHER UNFORESEEN INCIDENTS.
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? YOU GOT THIS.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, every single Trail Mavens says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, read our FAQs for the info you need.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp & fresh batteries
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Day pack to carry while hiking
- Sturdy, broken-in walking shoes
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads as needed
- Personal medications
- Glasses/contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles, small pillow, hand towel, earplugs, comfy shoes for hanging out at our campsite, camera, bandana or Buff to keep sun off your neck, small bottle hand sanitizer
Items in bold provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own!
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Our campsite in Mendocino features indoor bathrooms with running water and potable water spigots. You won't need to pee or poop outdoors...unless you want to.
Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from Trail Mavens locations, but we help coordinate carpools for ladies leaving from the Bay Area. Each passenger contributes to her driver to cover gas, wear, and tear.
If no trip participants/insufficient trip participants own cars, we'll share contact information so you can band together and split a Zipcar.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area no later than Friday afternoon and departing no earlier than 10pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
IS TRAIL MAVENs FOR YOU?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
... love open, honest, hilarious conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out around the campfire.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF YOU...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
your Investment: $395
trip fee includes...
... all Mendocino state park admission/campsite fees
... mushroom foraging lesson and guided hike with the expert
... tour and tasting at Navarro Vineyards
... delicious meals from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon, trail snacks, chocolate galore, and wine & whiskey to sip in the moonlight
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a WFR certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
... all the gear you need, just in case you don't have any; just bring clothes and a toothbrush
We don't want finances ever to be the thing that gets in the way of your coming on a Trail Mavens trip. We offer installment plans and photographer discounts.
To learn more, email email@example.com and we'll get you set up.
Additional questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 415-265-5062.