lost coast backpacking
no registrations accepted after sunday, july 30
Explore the CA coastline's most REMOTE AND RUGGED WILDERNESS area; they tried to build Hwy. 1 here, but there were too many dramatic cliffs.
so you can show off your skills next time you pitch a tent (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were a kid).
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak it in.
SPACE TO DISCONNECT from the day-to-day urban living, and stop, breathe, and focus on what's happening NOW.
THE MAVEN FACTOR, a.k.a what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside.
PROOF THAT YOU'RE EXACTLY AS TOUGH AS YOU KNOW YOU ARE (it's just that real life doesn't provide enough opportunities for you to test yourself).
- Late morning meet up at Black Sands Beach Trailhead for Opening Ceremonies and gear packing.
- Get read to work those glutes, because the terrain underfoot will range from soft sand to bowling-ball sized rocks
- Hike 5.1 miles along the beaches that the Lost Coast is famous for (Day 1 Distance/Elevation Profile)
- Test our off-trail navigation skills to find the perfect campsite along Buck Creek
- Set up tents, master our stove skills while cooking a tasty dinner, and our water purification skills while drinking from Buck Creek
- Relax in our camp chairs with wine and whiskey
- Kick off our day with hearty oats, coffee and tea, or (our personal fave) a hobo mocha
- Hike 3.4 miles sans backpacks, switchbacking up 3150' to Saddle Mountain, and basking in the view before heading back down to camp a second night at Buck Creek (Day 2 Distance/Elevation Profile | 6.8 miles total)
- Gather wood and build a campfire to cozy up to (conditions permitting)
- Cook dinner and relax with awesome friends and conversation
- Leisurely breakfast and our final camp break-down
- Hike 5.1 miles along the ocean back to our cars
- Beach celebration picnic and Closing Ceremonies
- Mid-afternoon departure for the Bay Area*
*Exact arrival time depends on our hiking speed and traffic, but anticipate an after-dinner arrival.
GUIDES RESERVE THE OPTION TO MODIFY TRIP ITINERARIES AS NECESSARY DUE TO WEATHER, ILLNESS, INJURY OR OTHER UNFORESEEN INCIDENTS.
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? YOU GOT THIS.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, every woman says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, read our (extremely detailed) FAQs for all the intel you need.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp with fresh batteries/spares
- 60L backpack (or larger) with rain fly
- Backpacking bowl/cup/spork
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Sturdy, broken in waterproof hiking boots
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads/menstrual cup as needed
- Toothbrush/mini toothpaste
- Personal medications
- Glasses/contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles, small pillow, earplugs, lightweight shoes for hanging out at camp, camera, bandana or Buff to keep sun off your neck
Items in bold provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own.
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Trail Mavens follows Leave No Trace principles, and we'll be pooping into catholes in the backcountry and packing out all our toilet paper and feminine hygiene products.
Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the Lost Coast, a four and a half hour drive from the Bay Area without traffic, but we help coordinate carpools for ladies leaving from SF and Oakland. Each passenger will contribute to her driver to cover gas and wear & tear.
If no trip participants/insufficient trip participants own cars, we'll share contact information so you can band together and split a rental.
Want even more details on carpooling? Check out our Transportation FAQ.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area no later than Thursday evening, and departing no earlier than Monday morning.
IS TRAIL MAVENs FOR YOU?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
... love open, honest, hilarious conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out around the campfire.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
...learn by doing, and feel empowered when given the chance to make suggestions and decisions.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF YOU...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... want everything—dishes, decisions, and dinner—to be done for you.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
your Investment: $445 [$425 before June 4]
trip fee includes...
... all Lost Coast permits and fees
... delicious meals from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon, trail snacks, chocolate galore, and wine & whiskey to sip in the moonlight
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a Wilderness First Responder-certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
... all the gear you need, just in case you don't have any; just bring clothes, a toothbrush, and a solid pair of hiking boots
... a contribution back to the King's Range Conservation Area, to preserve and protect it for future generations
We don't want finances to ever be the thing that gets in the way of you experiencing a Trail Mavens trip. With that in mind, we offer installment plans, so you can spread out trip payment over three months. Sound appealing? Email us at email@example.com and we'll get you set up.