it's easy to imagine you're on italy's amalfi coast when hiking and swimming along tahoe's shores, but why would you?
TAHOE IS ALREADY DREAMY, WITH BLUER-THAN-BLUE WATER SPLASHING THE FEET OF THE JAGGED SIERRAS.
THE ONLY CATCH? LIKE PEACH SEASON, SUMMER IN THE SIERRAS IS BRIEF. JULY AND AUGUST ARE THE ONLY MONTHS YOU CAN TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF TAHOE'S GLORY.
camping, hiking &
moderate to rigorous
Experience the EYE-TINGLING BEAUTY of South Lake Tahoe, including our favorite trail of all time, the Rubicon Trail.
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak it in.
THE MAVEN FACTOR, a.k.a what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside.
HANDS-ON TRAINING so you can show off your skills next time you pitch a tent (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were a kid).
SPACE TO DISCONNECT from the day-to-day urban living, and stop, breathe, and focus on what's happening NOW.
Enough SELF-CARE to get you through any hurdle. Eat gourmet camp meals, work your glutes on-trail, and enjoy the brilliance of Mama Nature.
- 9am departure from SF, Opening Ceremonies and lunch on the road
- Campsite set-up in Tahoe
- Hike and swim along the shores of Tahoe's insanely blue waters on the Rubicon Trail
- Learn our foolproof 'Flaming V' fire-building technique
- Enjoy dinner and kick back in your camp chair with wine and s'mores
- French-press coffee and hearty breakfast
- All-day hike to Maggie's Peak with lunch on trail
- Birds-eye views of Emerald Bay and Fallen Leaf Lake
- Return to camp for fire-building, relaxation, and a hot second to reflect and give yourself a high five for your accomplishments
- Massive dinner with fresh veggies galore, chocolate, and wine
- French-press coffee and hearty breakfast part deux
- Camp break-down and pro tips on gear and trip planning
- Beginner-friendly stand up paddleboard session along the shores of South Lake Tahoe
- Mediterranean picnic lunch feast
- Closing ceremonies, and return to San Francisco*
*Exact return timing pending traffic and hiking speeds, but anticipate an evening arrival.
Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? you got this.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, every single Trail Maven says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, read our FAQs for the info you need.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp & fresh batteries
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Day pack to carry while hiking
- Sturdy, broken-in walking shoes
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Towel & swimsuit
- Health insurance card & ID
- Toothbrush/toothpaste/medications/toiletries (including tampons/pads as needed)
- Glasses/contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles (esp. if you have knee issues), small pillow, hand towel, small bottle hand sanitizer
Items in bold provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own!
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Our campsite in Tahoe has spacious bathrooms, toilets and running water, and potable water spigots. You won't need to pee or poop outdoors...unless you want to.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Book a flight arriving in the Bay Area on Friday, and departing after 10pm Monday night / Tuesday morning.
is trail maven for you?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF you...
... love hilarious, gritty, open conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out around the campfire.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF you...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
your investment: $415
trip fee includes...
... all Lake Tahoe state park admission/campsite fees
... SUP rentals and mini-lesson
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a Wilderness First Responder-certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
... delicious meals from Saturday afternoon to Monday afternoon, trail snacks, chocolate galore, and wine & whiskey to sip in the moonlight
... all the gear you need, just bring clothes and a toothbrush
We don't want finances ever to be the thing that gets in the way of your coming on a Trail Mavens trip. We offer installment plans and photographer discounts. To learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get you set up.
Additional questions? Email email@example.com, or call 415-265-5062.