snowshoe backpacking in tahoe
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN?
Make sure you read our FAQ for juicy details that are relevant to all our trips!
- Explore the Sierra's snowy vistas away from the ski resort crowds
- Escape El Nino rains in favor of El Nino powder
- Cozy up to a wood fire inside a rustic cabin after a day of hiking through crystalline white landscapes
- Learn and practice snowshoeing, optimized bag packing, map reading, backcountry cooking, water treatment, and Leave No Trace principles
- Hang and learn with a posse of inspiring women
- Relax. Unplug. No emails, no cell phones (except to take pictures with!)
- A portion of your registration goes to Tahoe National Forest, to preserve and protect it for future generations
5pm meet up in San Francisco and dinner at Whole Foods on the road, stopping for the night at a motel in Auburn. Motel escapades probable.
Early morning breakfast, backpack packing/fitting session, and snowshoe/boot rental in Truckee. Five mile snowshoe (including 1500' elevation gain) to our backcountry hut, stopping for lunch and snacks along the way. After arrival and gear drop-off, we'll explore, play in the snow, drink hot chocolate by the fire, cook dinner, and relax.
Leisurely breakfast and departure from our hut. Downhill hike en route back to our cars, celebratory lunch in Truckee, and closing ceremonies. Arrival back in SF Sunday evening, exact timing pending traffic and hiking speeds.
* Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
- Motel and backcountry cabin accommodations
- Snowshoe, boot, and pole rental
- Guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation
- Meals (Saturday breakfast/lunch/dinner; Sunday breakfast), snacks, and wine
- Shared items: maps, stoves, cookware, fuel, plates, utensils, lanterns, and basic First Aid from a WFR-certified guide
- Backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and headlamp are provided at no additional cost for any woman who does not have her own
Not Included: Personal clothing, toiletries, Friday dinner/Sunday lunch
This adventure requires participants to dress for the weather in Tahoe: snowy and cold. Required pieces are listed below:
- Waterproof shell
- Fleece or down jacket
- Snow pants
- Synthetic or wool long underwear
- Waterproof gloves
- Synthetic or wool socks
+ ACCOMMODATIONS & food
Our backcountry hut is rustic. We'll be sleeping on the floor and using an outhouse, but there's a wood stove and it's warm indoors. Note that we'll be sharing the hut with other non-Maven adventurers. On Friday, we'll stay at the Quality Inn in Auburn, CA.
We are strong believers in delicious food to fuel adventure, and take care to create healthy, tasty menus (think oatmeal and dried berries before a big hike, or couscous and veggies for dinner). We're happy to plan around our vegetarian and vegan Trail Mavens. Gluten-intolerant? We've got you covered! However, because planning gluten-free meals requires us to shift our plans for the entire group, we ask you note it during registration only if it presents a health issue for you, rather than an inclination.
Participants are responsible for their own transportation to/from Tahoe. For trip participants departing from San Francisco and Oakland, Trail Mavens will make every effort to coordinate carpools. Each passenger will contribute to their driver to cover gas, wear, and tear (not included in trip investment).
If no trip participants/insufficient trip participants own cars, Trail Mavens will share contact information so you can band together and split a rental.
+ HEALTH AND SAFETY
We take participant health and risk management very seriously on our trips. All Trail Mavens primary leaders hold Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid certifications. In remote destinations, we carry a SPOT GPS signaling device, allowing us to contact authorities in case of emergency. We minimize risk on the trail by keeping groups together while hiking, encouraging everyone to drink water and apply sunscreen, and making sure we're prepared with gear appropriate to our activities. Before registering, please read the terms of conditions of Trail Mavens' release.
Any questions about participant health and risk management on our trips? Contact email@example.com.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area by Friday midday, and departing no earlier than 11pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
+ cancellation policy
Should you decide to cancel your trip for any reason, Trail Mavens is able to offer refunds at the following rates:
- 21+ days prior to trip departure date: 50% of trip cost refunded.
- 14-20 days prior to trip departure date: 25% of trip cost refunded.
- 0-13 days prior to trip departure: No refunds.
flash sale: $356.25
flash sale: $356.25
Additional questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 415-890-3470.