camping in death valley
march 31 - april 3
camping & hiking
*registration deadline: Monday, march 27
SLOT CANYONS, GLOWING MOUNTAINS, and the DEEP SILENCE of the desert.
so you can show off your skills next time you pitch a tent (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were a kid).
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak it in.
SPACE TO DISCONNECT from the day-to-day urban living, and stop, breathe, and focus on what's happening NOW.
THE MAVEN FACTOR, a.k.a what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside.
Enough SELF-CARE to get you through any hurdle. Eat gourmet camp meals, work your glutes on-trail, and enjoy the brilliance of Mama Nature.
We've planned this itinerary to maximize on the not-to-be-missed spots in Death Valley, with a particular nod to being in the right places for the magical desert hours around sunrise and sunset.
- Arrive in Furnace Creek by 4:00pm, in time for campsite setup and your first desert sunset
- Learn our foolproof 'Flaming V' fire-building technique
- We'll cook you dinner - you deserve it after a long day of driving
- Kick back in your camp chair with wine and s'mores, or crawl into your sleeping bag to catch some hard-earned Z's after the workweek
- Still-in-our-PJs-sunrise at Zabriskie Point
- Breakfast and coffeecoffeecoffee back at camp to fuel us for a day of adventuring
- 6.4 mostly-flat miles through Golden Canyon and Gower Gulch, one of the park's unmissable hikes, with a picnic lunch along the way
- Watch the sun set while strolling along the salt flats of Badwater Basin, the lowest place in North America
- Return to camp for fire-building, relaxation, and a hot second to reflect and give yourself a high five for your accomplishments
- Massive dinner with fresh veggies galore, chocolate, and wine
- Catch the sun rising over Death Valley at Dante's View, over 5,000 feet above the salt flat floor
- Head back to campsite for a big breakfast to prep for the day's hiking
- Four mile hike through Mosaic Canyon, with white undulating marble walls, with a picnic lunch along the way
- Two mile hike through the Mesquite Sand Dunes to catch sunset across the entire valley
- Happy hour, dinner, and s'mores around the campfire
- Breakfast and closing ceremonies
- Back in the Bay Area in time to prep for work on Tuesday morning*
*Exact return timing pending traffic and hiking speeds, but anticipate an evening arrival.
GUIDES RESERVE THE OPTION TO MODIFY TRIP ITINERARIES AS NECESSARY DUE TO WEATHER, ILLNESS, INJURY OR OTHER UNFORESEEN INCIDENTS.
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? YOU GOT THIS.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, every woman says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, read our FAQs for all the intel you need.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp & fresh batteries
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Day pack
- Sturdy, broken-in walking shoes
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 4L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads/Diva Cup as needed
- Personal medications
- Glasses/contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles, small pillow, hand towel, earplugs, comfy warm shoes for hanging out at our campsite, camera, bandana or Buff to keep sun off your neck, small bottle hand sanitizer
Items in bold provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own.
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Our campsite in Death Valley features flush toilets and potable water spigots. (No showers, though!)
Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from Death Valley, but we help coordinate carpools for ladies leaving from the Bay Area. Each passenger will contribute to her driver to cover gas, wear, and tear. If no trip participants/insufficient trip participants own cars, we'll share contact information so you can band together and split a rental.
Want even more details on carpooling? Check out our Transportation FAQ.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area no later than Thursday evening, and departing no earlier than 10pm Monday night, or Tuesday morning.
Conversely, you're welcome to fly into Las Vegas, rent a car, and meet us directly at our campsite!
IS TRAIL MAVENs FOR YOU?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
... love open, honest, hilarious conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out around the campfire.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF YOU...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
your Investment: $455, $425 [before 2/28]
trip fee includes...
... all Death Valley admission/campsite fees
... delicious meals from Friday night to Monday morning, trail snacks, chocolate galore, and wine & whiskey to sip in the moonlight
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a WFR certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
... all the gear you need, just in case you don't have any; just bring clothes and a toothbrush
... a donation back to Death Valley National Park, to preserve and protect them for future generations
We don't want finances ever to be the thing that gets in the way of your coming on a Trail Mavens trip, so we offer installment plans. To learn more, email email@example.com and we'll get you set up.