Today's Eats: Broccolini Farro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-pearled farro
- 1 pound broccolini
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Finely grated zest, then juice, of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces grated pecorino romano (optional)
- 2 eggs (optional)
1. Bring a medium/large pot of salted water to boil. Once boiling, add broccolini and boil for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, until slightly softened but still crisp overall. Scoop out with slotted spoon or tongs and drain.
2. Add farro back to same pot of water that you cooked broccolini in and cook, simmering, for 25 to 30 minutes, until tender. (If this differs from package, stick with package instructions.) Drain and tip into a large mixing bowl; cool to lukewarm.
3. Pat drained broccolini dry on towels, trying to remove as much excess moisture as possible. Chop into small (roughly 1/2-inch) bits. In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add garlic and pepper flakes, to taste, and cook for 1 minute, until garlic is faintly golden. Add chopped broccolini, lemon zest, and salt and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 more minutes, until broccolini is well-seasoned and slightly more tender.
4. Add broccolini and every bit of garlic and oil from the pan to the bowl of farro and stir to combine. Add lemon juice, black pepper and more salt to taste and stir to combine.
5. Optional: Stir in cheese and/ or fry eggs and serve on top for a heartier meal
Servings: 2 Big Ones, Time 45 mins. Source: http://bit.ly/2s9QwFp