big sur camping
camping & hiking
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN?
Make sure you read our FAQ for juicy details that are relevant to all our trips!
- Teach and learn camp set-up and break-down, map-reading, fire-starting, camp cooking, and Leave No Trace principles
- Explore the best hiking in Big Sur, including the Ewoldsen Trail and the beaches of Andrew Molera
- Have your mind blown by the beauty of McWay Falls
- Hang, laugh, and learn with a posse of inspiring women
- Relax and unplug with no emails or cell phones
- A portion of your ticket goes back to Big Sur State Parks, to preserve and protect them for future generations
5:30pm departure from SF, dinner on the road, campsite set-up in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, fire, and workweek wind-down with wine and conversation.
French-press coffee and hearty breakfast, 4.5 mile hike through redwoods and by spectacular views in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, picnic lunch on-trail, relaxing and camp skills office hours, dinner prep, fire-building, wine, feasting, and scary stories around the campfire.
French-press coffee and hearty breakfast part deux, camp break-down, hike and picnic lunch on the beach at Andrew Molera State Park. Closing ceremonies by the ocean and return to San Francisco. Exact return timing pending our hiking speeds and how quickly we can drag ourselves away from the ocean.
* Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
- All Big Sur state park admission/campsite fees.
- Guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation.
- Meals (Saturday breakfast/lunch/dinner, Sunday breakfast/lunch), snacks, and wine/whiskey.
- Shared items: tents, stove, cookware, fuel, plates, utensils, and camp chairs, lanterns, basic First Aid, firewood.
- Sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and headlamp are provided at no additional cost for any woman who does not have her own.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp & fresh batteries
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Day pack to carry while hiking
- Sturdy, broken-in walking shoes
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads as needed
- Personal medications
- Glasses/contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles (esp. if you have knee issues), small pillow, hand towel, earplugs, comfy shoes for hanging out at our campsite, camera, bandana or Buff to keep sun off your neck
Items in bold provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own!
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area no later than Friday afternoon and departing no earlier than 10pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
+ payment plans
We don't want finances ever to be the thing that gets in the way of your coming on a Trail Mavens trip. With that in mind, we offer installment plans, so you can spread out trip payment over three months. Sound appealing? Email email@example.com and we'll get you set up.
+ cancellation policy
Should you decide to cancel your trip for any reason, Trail Mavens is able to offer refunds at the following rates:
- 21+ days prior to trip departure date: 50% of trip cost refunded.
- 14-20 days prior to trip departure date: 25% of trip cost refunded.
- 0-13 days prior to trip departure: No refunds.
Trip Investment: $375 (early bird), $395 (after august 23)
Additional questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 415-265-5062.