big sur camping
april 15 - 17
camping & hiking
- Teach and learn camp set-up and break-down, map-reading, fire-starting, camp cooking, and Leave No Trace principles
- Explore the best hiking in Big Sur, including the Ewoldsen Trail and the beaches of Andrew Molera
- Have your mind blown by the beauty of McWay Falls
- Hang, laugh, and learn with a posse of inspiring women
- Relax and unplug without emails or cell phones
- A portion of your ticket goes back to Big Sur State Parks, to preserve and protect them for future generations
5:30pm departure from SF, dinner on the road, campsite set-up in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, fire, and workweek wind-down with wine and conversation.
French-press coffee and hearty breakfast, 4.5 mile hike through redwoods and by spectacular views in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, picnic lunch on-trail, relaxing and camp skills office hours, dinner prep, fire-building, wine, feasting, and scary stories around the campfire.
French-press coffee and hearty breakfast part deux, camp break-down, hike and picnic lunch on the beach at Andrew Molera State Park. Closing ceremonies by the ocean and return to San Francisco. Exact return timing pending our hiking speeds and how quickly we can drag ourselves away from the ocean.
* Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
- All Big Sur state park admission/campsite fees.
- Guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation.
- Meals (Saturday breakfast/lunch/dinner, Sunday breakfast/lunch), snacks, and wine/whiskey.
- Shared items: tents, stove, cookware, fuel, plates, utensils, and camp chairs, lanterns, basic First Aid, firewood.
- Sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and headlamp are provided at no additional cost for any woman who does not have her own.
+ ACCOMMODATIONS & food
You probably already knew this, but we'll be sleeping in two- or three-person tents. Plan to share your tent with 1-2 other trip participants.
We are strong believers in delicious food to fuel adventure, and take care to create healthy, tasty menus (think oatmeal and berries before a big hike, or zucchini mushroom burritos for dinner). We're happy to plan around our vegetarian and vegan Trail Mavens. Gluten-intolerant? We've got you covered! However, because planning gluten-free meals requires us to shift our plans for the entire group, we ask you note it during registration only if it presents a health issue for you, rather than an inclination.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp & fresh batteries
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Day pack to carry while hiking
- Sturdy, broken-in walking shoes
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads as needed
- Personal medications
- Glasses/contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles (esp. if you have knee issues), small pillow, hand towel, earplugs, comfy shoes for hanging out at our campsite, camera, bandana or Buff to keep sun off your neck
Items in bold provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own!
Participants are responsible for their own transportation to/from Big Sur. For trip participants coming from the Bay Area, Trail Mavens will make every effort to coordinate carpools leaving from a central SF location. Each passenger will contribute to their driver to cover gas, wear, and tear (not included in trip investment). If we do not have enough drivers, Mavens may need to band together to rent a car for the weekend.
Participants choosing not to carpool may be subject to additional park entrance / parking fees.
+ HEALTH AND SAFETY
We take participant health and risk management very seriously on our trips. All Trail Mavens primary leaders hold Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid certifications. In remote destinations, we carry a DeLorme two-way signaling device, allowing us to contact authorities and Trail Mavens HQ in case of emergency. We minimize risk on the trail by keeping groups together while hiking, encouraging everyone to drink water and apply sunscreen, and making sure we're prepared with gear appropriate to our activities. Before registering, please read the terms of conditions of Trail Mavens' release. Any questions about participant health and risk management on our trips? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area no later than Friday afternoon and departing no earlier than 10pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
+ cancellation policy
Should you decide to cancel your trip for any reason, Trail Mavens is able to offer refunds at the following rates:
- 21+ days prior to trip departure date: 50% of trip cost refunded.
- 14-20 days prior to trip departure date: 25% of trip cost refunded.
- 0-13 days prior to trip departure: No refunds.
Trip Investment: $375 (early bird), $395 (after mar. 15)
Additional questions? Email email@example.com, or call 415-265-5062.