OUR MENDOCINO ADVENTURE IS LIKE YOUR BEST DAY AT SUMMER CAMP.
YOU WENT KAYAKING, HIKING, AND SWIMMING ALL IN ONE DAY, AND YOU MADE A NEW FRIEND YOU WANT TO WRITE HOME ABOUT.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE? WE'RE SWAPPING IN AWARD-WINNING WINES FOR FRUIT PUNCH. YOU BETTER BELIEVE WE PACKED S'MORES FIXINGS.
camping, hiking & kayaking
this adventure is offered specifically for our mavens over the age of 50.
(IF YOU'RE ALMOST 50 AND WANT TO HANG OUT WITH OTHER LADIES OVER 50, YOU'RE WELCOME TOO.)
Appreciate how tiny you are as you STROLL THROUGH REDWOODS so old they made the trees in Muir Woods look like saplings.
THE MAVEN FACTOR (i.e. what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside).
SPACE TO DISCONNECT so you can step away from the day-to-day of urban living, stop, breathe, plant your feet in the group and focus on what’s happening right now.
Get up-close and personal with the urchins and sea stars as you paddle through the EMERALD WATERS and SEA CAVES south of Mendocino.
HANDS-ON TRAINING so you can show off your skills next time you pitch a tent (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were three).
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak it in.
- 5:30pm departure from downtown SF, Opening Ceremonies and dinner on the road
- Camp setup at our redwood-filled campground
- Sip a glass of wine as you relax with new friends and great conversation
- French-press coffee and hearty breakfast
- Kayak exploration of Mendocino's sea caves
- Lunch and strolling in insanely picturesque downtown Mendocino
- Lounge, swim, and read next to the Navarro River
- Visit baby goats at the Apple Farm
- Learn our foolproof 'Flaming V' fire-building technique
- Enjoy dinner and wind down with wine and s'mores
- Stroll through a redwood grove, piping hot coffee in hand
- Hearty breakfast part deux and camp breakdown
- Wine tasting at award-winning Navarro Vineyards (not our fault if you buy three bottles)
- Mediterranean picnic lunch feast
- Closing ceremonies, and return to San Francisco*
*Exact return timing pending traffic and hiking speeds, but anticipate an evening arrival.
GUIDES RESERVE THE OPTION TO MODIFY TRIP ITINERARIES AS NECESSARY DUE TO WEATHER, ILLNESS, INJURY OR OTHER UNFORESEEN INCIDENTS.
Why Mendocino and the Anderson Valley?
The sound of wind rustling the leaves on redwoods towering around you. The smell - then the taste - of gooey marshmallows on Saturday night, and award-winning Pinot Noir on Sunday afternoon. The mesmerizing emerald color of the ocean as you venture into a sea cave, exploring the anemones and urchins clinging to the rocks around you. The feeling of stretching your legs, walking through an ancient redwood grove, holding your morning coffee in your hand.
This area of California is as undiscovered gem ... for the time being. 7x7 Magazine recently did a write-up of the area, but we hope it stays as sleepily lovely as it has been for the past few decades.
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? YOU GOT THIS.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, every single Trail Mavens says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, read our FAQs for the info you need.
+ Packing list
Each Trail Maven should plan on bringing the following:
- Sleeping bag rated at 40° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp & new batteries or spares
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing a Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing, including bathing suit
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sandals or flip-flops for kayaking and hanging around our campsite
- Small backpack for carrying your personal items on Saturday
- Towel for hanging out by the swimming hole
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 2L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads as needed
- Toothbrush/mini toothpaste
- Personal medications
- Glasses/contacts with solution
- A pen
- Trail Mavens alumnae only: previous Field Notes
- Optional: lightweight pillow, earplugs, lightweight sandals for hanging out at our campsite, camera, bandana to keep sun off your neck
Items in bold will be provided at no additional cost for any woman who needs them.
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Our campsite in Hendy Woods State Park is plush, as far as campsites go. It features spacious bathrooms toilets and running water, hot quarter-fed showers (though no one ever takes one), and potable water spigots. You won't need to pee or poop outdoors...unless you want to.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area no later than Friday early afternoon and departing no earlier than 10pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
We're more than happy to help with SF trip planning if you're coming from far away. Just reach out!
IS TRAIL MAVEN FOR YOU?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
... love open, honest, hilarious conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out around the campfire.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF YOU...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
YOUR INVESTMENT: $395
TRIP FEE INCLUDES...
... all park admission/campsite fees
... sea cave kayak tour with award-winning Kayak Mendocino
... delicious meals from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon, trail snacks, chocolate galore, and wine & whiskey to sip in the moonlight
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a WFR certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
... all the gear you need, just in case you don't have any; just bring clothes and a toothbrush
... a donation back to CA State Parks, to preserve and protect them for future generations
We don't want finances ever to be the thing that gets in the way of your coming on a Trail Mavens trip. With that in mind, we offer installment plans, so you can spread out trip payment over three months. Sound appealing? Email email@example.com and we'll get you set up.
Additional questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 415-265-5062.