angel island backpacking
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN?
Make sure you read our FAQ for juicy details that are relevant to all our trips!
- Explore Angel Island after all the tourists and day-trippers have left
- Watch San Francisco and the East Bay light up by night
- Fall asleep to the sounds of the ocean, knowing you've got one of the most impossible-to-reserve campsites in the Bay Area
- Learn and practice optimized bag packing, camp set-up and break-down, map reading, backcountry cooking, water treatment, and Leave No Trace principles
- Hang and learn with a posse of inspiring women
- Relax. Unplug. No emails, no cell phones
- A portion of your registration goes to Angel Island State Park, to preserve and protect it for future generations
8:30am meet up and departure from San Francisco and carpool to Tiburon. Distribute and pack group and personal gear before heading to Tiburon Ferry Terminal. Relaxed two-mile hike to Ridge campsites; campsite setup and lunch. Afternoon hike around the perimeter of the island, summiting Mt. Livermore. Outdoor skills 'Office Hours,' dinner, wine, and revelry.
Optional sunrise hike post-hike naps, leisurely breakfast and camp break-down. Island exploration and beach frolicking; picnic lunch, closing ceremonies, and afternoon ferry departure to Tiburon. Mid- to late-afternoon return to San Francisco.
* Guides reserve the option to modify trip itineraries as necessary due to weather, illness, injury or other unforeseen incidents.
- Angel Island State Park campsite, permit fees, and ferry transportation
- Guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation
- Meals: Saturday lunch/dinner; Sunday breakfast/lunch; snacks, wine, and bourbon for sipping in the moonlight
- Shared items: tents, maps, stoves, cookware, fuel, plates, utensils, camp chairs, lanterns, and basic First Aid from a WFR-certified guide
- Backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and headlamp are provided at no additional cost for any woman who does not have her own
Not Included: Personal clothing, toiletries, or other incidentals.
+ 50+ Age group
Over the years, Trail Mavens has gotten dozens of emails from women asking if we'll run a trip just for older women. We've never tried it before (really, age is just a number) but this year, we're excited to give it a go. If you're not quite 50+ but want to connect with women who are, you're welcome on this adventure.
+ ACCOMMODATIONS & food
You probably already knew this, but we'll be sleeping in two- or three-person tents. You'll share your tent with 1-2 other awesome trip participants.
We are strong believers in delicious food to fuel adventure, and take care to create healthy, tasty menus (think oatmeal and dried berries before a big hike, or couscous and veggies for dinner). We're happy to plan around our vegetarian and vegan Trail Mavens. Gluten-intolerant? We've got you covered! However, because planning gluten-free meals requires us to shift our plans for the entire group, we ask you note it during registration only if it presents a health issue for you, rather than an inclination.
Participants are responsible for their own transportation to/from Tiburon. For trip participants departing from San Francisco and Oakland, Trail Mavens will make every effort to coordinate carpools. Each passenger will contribute to their driver to cover park entrance fees, gas, wear, and tear (not included in trip investment).
If no trip participants/insufficient trip participants own cars, Trail Mavens will share contact information so you can band together and split a rental.
+ HEALTH AND SAFETY
We take participant health and risk management very seriously on our trips. All Trail Mavens primary leaders hold Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid certifications. In remote destinations, we carry a DeLorme two-way signaling device, allowing us to contact authorities and Trail Mavens HQ in case of emergency. We minimize risk on the trail by keeping groups together while hiking, encouraging everyone to drink water and apply sunscreen, and making sure we're prepared with gear appropriate to our activities. Before registering, please read the terms of conditions of Trail Mavens' release.
Any questions about participant health and risk management on our trips? Contact email@example.com.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area on Friday and departing no earlier than 10pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
+ cancellation policy
Should you decide to cancel your trip for any reason, Trail Mavens is able to offer refunds at the following rates:
- 21+ days prior to trip departure date: 50% of trip cost refunded.
- 14-20 days prior to trip departure date: 25% of trip cost refunded.
- 0-13 days prior to trip departure: No refunds.
Trip Investment: $375
Hey you! Yes, you. If a Trail Mavens trip is exactly what you need in your life right now, but coming means you'll be eating PB&Js for a month or you won't make your rent, please reach out. We don't want money to be the thing that gets in the way of creating another badass female outdoor leader.
Additional questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 415-265-5062.