angel island backpacking
*REGISTRATION DEADLINE: monday, march 13
An intro backpacking trip that's gentle on the legs and EASY ON THE EYES, giving you a new perspective on the Bay Area.
HANDS-ON TRAINING so you can show off your skills next time you pitch a tent (we'll make sure you look like you've been doing it since you were a kid).
ZERO STRESS around literally any planning. We handle everything from permits to bug spray, so all you have to do is soak it in.
SPACE TO DISCONNECT from the day-to-day urban living, and stop, breathe, and focus on what's happening NOW.
THE MAVEN FACTOR, a.k.a what happens when you mix dynamic, thoughtful, open-hearted women for a weekend outside.
Enough SELF-CARE to get you through any hurdle. Eat gourmet camp meals, work your glutes on-trail, and enjoy the brilliance of Mama Nature.
- 7:30am meet up and carpool to Tiburon
- Gear distribution and bag packing lessons
- Quick ferry ride to Angel Island, leg stretch, and 2-mile walk to our campsite
- Set up camp, including our bombproof method of tent setup
- Picnic lunch and hike to the top of Mt. Livermore for the best views of the Bay you've never seen
- Kick up our feet at camp, relax and cook dinner
- Enjoy wine, conversation, and laughter under the stars
- Hot coffee and a hearty breakfast to start the day
- Leisurely camp break-down and primer on gear and trip planning
- Hike to a beach cove and continue around the island, making sure we don't miss a single viewpoint
- Ferry ride back to the mainland
- Picnic lunch and Closing Ceremonies, with a midafternoon departure back home*
*Exact return timing pending traffic and hiking speeds, but anticipate an evening arrival.
GUIDES RESERVE THE OPTION TO MODIFY TRIP ITINERARIES AS NECESSARY DUE TO WEATHER, ILLNESS, INJURY OR OTHER UNFORESEEN INCIDENTS.
why angel island?
Hiking with views of the Bay Area which will renew your appreciation that you get to live in a place as stunning as this. Catching a deer nibbling on grass in the early morning light, then sampling an edible plant or two yourself. Appreciating the San Francisco and Oakland nighttime cityscapes and bridges ... away from the traffic and noise. Having the place to ourselves between 4pm Saturday and 9am Sunday, after the day trippers have left.
Every time we go back to Angel Island, we're blown away at how beautiful - and how accessible - it is. If an overnight on the island isn't on your bucket list, it should be.
FIRST-TIME TRAIL MAVEN? YOU GOT THIS.
Every single Trail Mavens trip starts with strangers. But don't worry - if you're nervous about not knowing anyone or not being skilled enough, every single Trail Mavens says this before they go.
To feel more confident before signing on, read our FAQs for the info you need.
+ Packing List
- Sleeping bag rated at 30° or colder
- Sleeping pad
- Headlamp with new batteries or spares
- 50L backpack (or larger) with rain fly
- Backpacking bowl/cup/spork
- A sense of adventure
- Sleeping bag liner (if borrowing a Trail Mavens sleeping bag)
- Personal clothing
- Sturdy, broken-in walking/hiking shoes
- Water bottles and/or hydration bladder with a minimum 1.5L capacity
- Sunscreen/sun hat/sunglasses
- Health insurance card & ID
- Tampons/pads as needed
- Toothbrush/mini toothpaste
- Personal medications
- Glasses or contacts with solution
- A pen
- (Trail Mavens alumnae only): previous Field Notes
- Optional: hiking poles (esp. if you have knee issues), lightweight backpacking pillow, earplugs, lightweight sandals for hanging out at our campsite, camera, bandana or Buff to keep sun off your neck
Items in bold are provided at no additional cost for any women who does not have her own!
+ bathrooms and hygiene
Backcountry campsites on Angel Island feature potable water and pit toilets, so you won't be pooping in the woods. We will, however, teach you proper woods-pooping protocol, so you're ready when it needs to happen.
Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from Trail Mavens locations, and we help coordinate carpools for ladies leaving from the same area. Each passenger contributes to her driver to cover gas, wear, and tear. If no trip participants/insufficient trip participants own cars, we'll share contact information so you can band together and split a rental.
Want even more carpool details? Check out our Transportation FAQ.
+ OUT OF TOWNER?
Plan to book flight arriving in the Bay Area on Friday and departing no earlier than 9pm Sunday night, or Monday morning.
IS TRAIL MAVENs FOR YOU?
TRAIL MAVENS IS FOR YOU IF YOU...
... love open, honest, hilarious conversations with other women. Surface stuff is fine at home, but you know the best stuff comes out around the campfire.
... haven't learned how to start the fire, work the stove, or purify water. Get hands-on practice here, with other adventurous women (so you don't have to trial-and-error on your own).
... thrive on being pushed - tenderly and lovingly - outside your comfort zone, because you know that's where the magic happens.
... feel creative, inspired, and happy when you're outside (and you could definitely use a little more of that right now).
OUR ADVENTURES AREN'T FOR YOU IF YOU...
... think getting a little sweaty, dirty, and marshmallow-y sounds gross.
... don't want to experience the outdoors with a group of rad, like-minded women.
Trip Investment: $375, $355 [before 2/18]
trip fee includes...
... all Angel Island admission/campsite fees and ferry tickets
... delicious meals from Saturday to Sunday afternoon, trail snacks, chocolate galore, and wine & whiskey to sip in the moonlight
... guided, hands-on outdoor skills instruction and facilitation from a WFR certified guide, plus access to the collective brilliance of your group
... all the gear you need, just in case you don't have any; just bring clothes and a toothbrush
... a donation back to CA State Parks, to preserve and protect them for future generations
We don't want finances ever to be the thing that gets in the way of your coming on a Trail Mavens trip. We offer installment plans and photographer discounts.
To learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get you set up.
Additional questions? Email email@example.com, or call 415-265-5062.